Friday, October 16, 2009

Basic Vanilla Layer Cake

Have you ever needed a delicious layer cake for a birthday that hardly ever flop? In the May 2009 issue of Everyday Food magazine I found such a cake. It has been a wonderful find and I've made it many times. Click here for the original recipe. Below is the recipe with my adaptions added in.

Basic Vanilla Layer Cake

Ingredients:
  • 2 sticks butter, room temperature
  • 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 1/2 cups sugar
  • 3 large eggs
  • 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
  • 1 cup buttermilk*
*If you don't have buttermilk on hand try using 1/4 cup white vinegar and 3/4 cup milk. Let sit 5 minutes before puting it in the batter.

Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray two 9-by-2-inch cake pans.
  2. In a medium bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
  3. In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy. With mixer on low, beat in eggs, one at a time. Beat in vanilla.
  4. Alternately beat in flour mixture and buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour mixture; mix just until combined.
  5. Divide batter between pans; smooth tops. Spin cakes around on the counter until the batter starts to come up the sides.
  6. Bake until cakes pull away from sides of pans, 27 to 31 minutes. Let cool in pans 10 minutes. Run a knife around edges of pans and invert cakes onto a wire rack. Let cool completely.
  7. Place one cake, bottom side up, on a cake stand. Tuck strips of parchment paper underneath. Using an offset-spatula or table knife, spread top with icing. Top with remaining cake; frost top, then sides.

~ ~ ~

Below are some variations of this cake that I have also made:


lemon cake


I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I do!

5 comments:

Cheryl said...

I can vouch for the "yum" factor!

Sarah said...

Looks good Kati! I'd love to be there to share some yummy food and enjoy a cup of coffee with you. By the way, are you back to drinking coffee yet? Or still sticking with tea?

Kati said...

I am drinking coffee again now. Just one cup a day. If that. I still drink tea. I average two cups of tea a day in the winter.

Wish you were here to share a warm beverage with us right now, Sarah!

Kristin said...

I tried a variation of the cake this week. I reduced the buttermilk and replaced it with pumpkin. I baked it in a 9x13 pan and used chocolate buttercream icing! Yummy!

Kati said...

Sounds good, Kristin!